Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Tio Pepe

A Preamble: I discovered Spanish dry sherry by happenstance.  I was in Galway, Ireland, and attended a reception at which several dignitaries were present.  Up until that point in my life I only knew sherry as a disgusting drink... a sweet, slightly rotten flavoured, liquid offered to me by certain un-named ancient relatives.  I swear to the gods I had no idea there was a real thing called dry Sherry from Spain.  Anyroad, at the said reception, a young lady was making the rounds with a tray full of small wine glasses full of a light yellow liquid.  I had to do my part of course, so I put one in my paw and had a sip.  This was great stuff, Homeric. I asked, what is this?  ... and was told it was Spanish dry sherry.  I was hooked from the start.  Several months ago, I discovered my local spirits shop had a few bottles of Tio Pepe on the shelf.  And, my relationship with dry sherry, Jarez Fino, was renewed.

Tio Pepe Fino Sherry is a pale golden color.  It is an elegant and distinctive fortified wine with a mild almond aroma. The flavour is full bodied, but very crisp and very dry, with a complex, long finish.  With Tio Pepe, you taste Spain. 

Jerez DO lower left in yellow near Cadiz

Tio Pepe vineyards are located in 'Jerez Superior,' area, which is the D.O. Andalusia.  This region is known for its white albariza soil which contains 60% chalk which has a moisture retaining quality.  Tio Pepe is vinified and blended by master winemaker Antonio Flores. 

Think... sunny southern Spain, a glass of Jarez fino with a slice of Manchego cheese.  The perfect healthy snack... an no carbs for you Keto hounds.  Tio Pepe is indeed a very dry wine, less than one carb per serving (and no carbs at all in Manchego). Some like it chilled, but I prefer it room temperature, as to my tastes this unlocks more flavour. 

It is a perfect dry sherry.  Try a bottle, and remember the Crane brothers love the stuff.

Notes: 
D.O.; Denominationes de Origen (designation of origin)
Andalusia; a region is southern Spain.
Jerez DO; the wine area in Andalusia noted for their fine sherries.  

© 2018 Barry R McCain

Barry R McCain on Amazon
Tio Pepe Jarez Palomino Fino © Barry R McCain

No comments:

Post a Comment