Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Beards: Nigel Green

Nigel Green (from Jason and the Argonauts)

I grew up in the 1950s.. 1960s.  I graduated from High School in 1969.  I started growing my beard in 1970.  I have had a beard since then, except for a brief time when I shaved due to a 'safety' protocol for a week or so in 1980 (a job I had).  So, I have been bearded for a half a century.  Why would a young tow head from Ouachita Parish, Louisiana, become a bearded man?   What was it, the catalyst?  Was it the Beatles post 1967, or the so called 'counter culture' of the late 1960s, or hanging out with gurus and such?  No, none of the above.  It was South African born actor Nigel Green.  

Nigel Green as Hercules 1963
Nigel McGown Green (15 October 1924 -15 May 1972) was born in South Africa and was an actor based in England.   He had a powerful masculine countenance.  He was 6' 1" tall with a muscular physique.  In his films, he often played roles that required a large, muscular type, with a commanding presence.  I discovered him in the wonderful film Jason and the Argonauts.  Some of his other well known films are Zulu, Tobruck, and The Ipcress File.


Nigel Green as Hercules

In 1963 the film Jason and the Argonauts was released.  I loved it.  The old Greek myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece, brought to the big screen via the talents of Ray Harryhausen, who used his famous stop motion animation special effects technique in the film.  It brought the Greek myth to life.  In the film the part of Hercules was played by Nigel Green of course.  He had the physique for it and he had the Beard for it.  

I was only 12 years old when I first saw the film.  Growing up in the 1950s early 60s, one normally did not see many men wearing beards.  Watching the film I was drawn to Nigel Green's performance as Hercules.  I thought in my wee twelve year old brain... that's the way a Man looks.  Literally, from that moment on, I associated beards with masculinity.  It made quite an impression on a young boy.  Seven years later, I grew my beard.

 


© 2018 Barry R McCain

Barry R McCain on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment