Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Keto and mmol/Ls


I have been in Keto for seven weeks and all going well.  I measure my Ketones using Keto urine strips.  Admittedly, this method is not as precise as using a (fancy) Keto meter and blood sample strips, but I find the method useful.  Keto urine strips are inexpensive and I also find them accurate enough for my purposes.  If I fast, I see a marked increase in my Keto mmol/L level.  My morning readings are typically .5 to 1.5 mmol/Ls.  My afternoon and evening level is normally 1.5 to 4.0 mmol/Ls.  Now, when I do a 24 hour to 36 hour intermittent  fast my test strip will read 4.0 to 8.0 mmol/Ls.  

Keto Urine Strip graphic


I have noticed, or it is my perception, that I have superiour cognition, improved mental function, at the higher level.  I have not chronicled this phenomenon, but intend to do so this week.  I will try to achieve the higher, 4.0 mmol/L level and observe myself.  

BTW... mmol/L is an international standard measure and the abbreviation stands for 'millimoles per litre.'   I find the Keto urine strips a good analysis tool.  I am in Keto, or began doing Keto, primarily for a medical purpose.  I had a brain injury and I am doing a neurogenesis protocl to enhance the healing process.  The protocol is working well and my recovery has improved radically on Keto.  But, like many, I am also enjoying getting back the Old Me, i.e. having my belly flat and dropping several inches off my waist.  The best metric for health is the waist to height ratio.  

One's waist to height ratio is easily calculated by dividing waist size by one's height.  There are also several waist to height calculators which one can access via a net search.  I like to use Bing or Duck Duck Go as a search engine, but Google works also (sort of). 

Take Aways: Keto urine strips are inexpensive and I find them a useful tool.  I also find a Keto mmol/L of 4.0 or above to enhance my mental clarity and cognition.

© 2018 Barry R McCain

Barry R McCain on Amazon 

No comments:

Post a Comment