Sunday, August 18, 2019

Beard Care Tips

I had a lovely, pretty, woman, walk up to me yesterday; she held up her hands up to her waist level, palms up, as in a presenting fashion, and she said to me, 'your beard makes me happy.' That was nice. 

very natural very Celtic

 Here are some notes on large beard care. I will start with the basics, with the proviso that this is from my perspective, which is that of a man of northern European ancestry (Celtic, geographically Ireland, Scotland, and Wales). This data is important as my beard was red, typical and common phenotype of my tribe, and is somewhat curly, corkscrew shaped curls, etc. My beard is now white, again, a genetic factor. 

How often do I wash my beard?: in my case, often, as I live in a hot climate that is often humid. Just necessary in that environment. When the weather is cooler I wash less often.

Washing: often I use just glycerin soap, sometimes I use Dermarest brand shampoo, has no colours, works great. I normally finish with hair conditioner, just the inexpensive type, such as Herbal Essences brand. 

I towel dry, then gently brush through with a de-tangling brush.  I let the beard air dry, though in winter I will sometimes use a hair dryer on low setting. 

I occasionally will apply beard oil. I use two types; Honest Amish or Alberto V05, the purple one as the beard is white. Both of these products are inexpensive and both work well. 

Other tips: I never shave below my chin or shape the upper part of the beard with a razor. This creates artificial lines that just don't look good in my opinion. In the case of shaving your neck, that again just does not look good, it causes a thin wispy beard as you grow your beard longer.  

I will 'shape' the beard with a wahl clipper about once every two months. I brush the hair as straight out as possible, i.e. out from my cheek at a 90 degree angle and then with a careful hand trim the hair ends. 

That is my basic beard protocol.

Link: Finding the McCains

© 2019 Barry R McCain

No comments:

Post a Comment